July 31, 2018
Wyeth Mansion and Huston Wyeth
DEFINITION: Takes initiative with attention, common sense, spunk and resourcefulness.
One of St. Joseph public schools earliest and most successful students, Huston Wyeth, built in 1918-1922 what was considered a very large country estate located northeast of central downtown. It was called Wyethwood.
HUSTON WYETH, THE MAN BEHIND WYETHWOOD
Wyeth was born on July 8, 1863, in St. Joseph, Mo. as the only son of William Maxwell Wyeth and Eliza Renick Wyeth, and was in the eighth generation from the founder of the Wyeth name in America. His only sibling was his older sister, Maud.
He attended St. Paul’s Academy and Racine Business College in Racine, Wisc. At the age of 17, he engaged in the cattle business, afterwards working in the offices, factories and warehouses of the retail hardware trade. In 1880, in recognition of his interest and ability, Wyeth was elected a director and vice president of the company his father founded, Wyeth Hardware & Manufacturing Co. in St. Joseph.
In addition to this post, he organized the St. Joseph Artesian Ice and Cold Storage Co. in 1892 and became its president and active head. In addition to these two companies, records show he was a businessman officially connected with a number of other corporations such as Blue Valley Creamery Co., Wyeth Realty and Investment Co., Leavenworth Terminal Railway and Bridge Co., National Bank of St. Joseph, Mo., Lyon & Judson Hardware Co., St. Joseph Gas Co., St. Joseph & Grand Island R.R. Co., and St. Joseph Water Co.
Wyeth married Leila Ballinger on April 4, 1883. She was also a St. Joseph native, a daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth Kuechle Ballinger. Their first born was William Maxwell on May 12, 1884. They had three more children who grew to adulthood and marry: Maud, Alison, and John.
Wyeth was a globetrotter traveling extensively in both the United States and Europe. In addition to work and family, he served his country and the community in many ways. He organized United States Company C, Fourth Regiment of Missouri Volunteers, known as the Wyeth Guards, in the 1898 Spanish-American War.
His duty to country was lifelong as a Navy League life member, National Rifle Association life member, American Defense Society Life Member, and Sons of the Revolution and the Sons of 1812 War member.
In Masonry, Wyeth was a noble of the Ancient Order, St. Joseph Lodge Perfection, No. 6 Scottish Rite; Moila Temple of the Mystic Shrine; St. Joseph Lodge and others. He also socialized, sailed and golfed as a member of the St. Joseph Country Club, Highlands Golf Club, Benton Club, Rotary Club, Larchment Yacht Club, and more. For a western businessman immersed in St. Joseph’s late 19th century and early 20th century economic growth, he was also well established as a eastern seaboard yachtsman and enjoyed a winter home in Florida.
His sense of camaraderie and intuition about people and animals alike throughout his life contributed to his success, which in turn, gave him the financial freedom to enjoy the rare privilege of being involved in so many businesses and organizations. This full-circle character trait seemed to make him a leader at work, in all of his civic and social organizations, his military service, and in his race horse breeding stables and dog breeding kennels at home.
Huston Wyeth died on January 25, 1925, at the age of 61 at his winter home in Miami, Fla. He is buried in Mount Mora Cemetery, St. Joseph next to his wife, Leila, who lived another 30 years until the age of 89.
St. Joseph’s famous Wyeth-Tootle Mansion near downtown is the home of Huston’s father, William and his wife, Eliza. Much of the family’s history can be found in the home that is now open to the public as part of St. Joseph Museums.
Houses of Missouri 1870-1940 by Cydney Millstein and Carol Grove, Acanthus Press, New York, 2008.
Men of the South: A Work for the Newspaper Reference Library, by Daniel Decatur Moore, Souther Biographical Association, New Orleans, La., 1922.
The Book of Missourians: The Achievements and Personnel of Notable Living Men and Women of Missouri in the Opening Decade of the Twentieth Century, edited by M.L. Van Nada, T. J. Steele & Co., Chicago and St. Louis, 1906.
A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2, edited by Walter Williams, The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago and New York, 1915.
The drive throughout downtown has become more colorful in the last five years, thanks to the creation of larger than life murals that convey the unique spirit of St. Joseph.
Walking into Café Belle Epoque takes you back in time. The copper tin ceiling, marble table tops, hardwood floors, wood-burning stove and jazz music seem to transport you to a period of economic glamour in historic St. Joseph.
Striding through the doors of Artcrafts Engraving Co. transports you from the modern streets of St. Joseph back through our history in manufacturing.
Following formal distribution of the locally-filmed movie “Christmas at the Chateau” in 2019, it’s likely that many watching from home will say “Where did they film this? This place is amazing.”
When visitors and locals visit historic Hall Street in St. Joseph, they usually look up. A lot. And then they stop and stare. They take pictures and walk very slowly. They usually return, because this neighborhood known as “Millionaire’s Row” tells the story of St. Joseph’s turn-of-the century wealth and opulence like nothing else.